Thursday, August 22, 2013

Keeping those plants alive!!!©Da

Confederate rose blossoms
© Dawn Gagnon Photography 2017


The biggest challenge I find as a gardener in the south is keeping those plants that seem to do so well in Spring alive and thriving through the summer and into the fall. Roses often do a big show in spring, then slowly wind down and this is something that I fight with myself. A few tips I do is I encourage fertilizing, don't quit after one fertilizing and remember they need to be fed. Another thing to do is keep up with the dead heading and occasional pruning. Roses in particular seem to need this on a regular basis. They are in some ways the spoiled child of the garden, needing more attention than most. If you keep up with these little things, your plants in general will fair well, and winter over a lot better too.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...